Saturday, May 19, 2012

One

I'm unsure where lines are drawn
And that is more or less the truth
I'm losing track of boundaries
And that too is some sort of truth.
It's been said a hundred times
And here it's being said again -
we learn the same lessons anyways -
I don't know where I end.

I don't know where the future starts
Or where my past is not the present.
And that is the truth.
I don't know why this road intersects
With another by a name any different
And that is the truth.
I don't know why I feel
Like I'd be a stranger
At the parties in the backyard
Of the house around the corner.

In summer, their fires
Echo in the suburbs
And we feel old.
We're not spending nights
The way we did,
Our backs to the pavement
Eyes to the moon.

I don't know where I'm alone
Or why I'd ever want to be.
And that is the truth.
I don't know where it is
That we went our separate ways
And that is half truth.
I couldn't tell you why I've felt
So scatterbrained .
Or have you been feeling it too?
I've been forgetting to remember
We're all in pieces together.

Only I can tell me
Our love is in we.
Only we can tell ourselves
How to be.
And that is the Truth.

No comments: